The Kansas City Teacher Residency (KCTR) is designed to accelerate student achievement in local public schools through the recruitment, preparation, and support of highly skilled and diverse new teachers. KCTR’s mission is to serve high-need urban schools in Kansas City, Missouri through the lens of our core values of mission-driven, high expectations, collaboration, growth mindset, care and love, ownership, and persistence.
KCTR is a post-baccalaureate teacher preparation program that offers more time and development focused on the competencies of highly-effective teachers, more coaching and support through the Residency year and
in the first three years of teaching, and more time in school learning alongside a Mentor Teacher for a full school year.
Pioneered in the early 2000s in Boston, Chicago, and Denver, teacher residency programs adapt the medical residency model to teacher preparation and are designed to provide Residents with the skills,
knowledge, and practical experiences necessary to become highly effective teachers. In pursuit of this goal, KCTR is committed to providing the following support:
- A rigorous, year-long Clinical Experience alongside a highly effective Mentor Teacher focusing on instructional practices proven to promote student learning;
- Concentrated and aligned coursework focused on urban education, culminating in Initial Teacher Certification in the state of Missouri after year one, and a Master’s Degree after year two;
- A collaborative cohort experience with fellow Residents who share a passion for urban education;
- A comprehensive Resident Graduate program during years 1-3 as a Teacher of Record.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS OF A KCTR TEAM MEMBER:
- A belief in the core values of KCTR, and a shared passion for our mission.
- The ability to motivate, inspire, and interact with others on topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion specifically around race.
- Effective time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities independently and cooperatively, in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong analytical skills, including an ability to synthesize new information and processes quickly and with solid judgment.
- The collaborative instinct, situational awareness, and acumen to build and maintain trusting relationships with adults.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Tact and diplomacy accompanied with active listening skills and an approachable personality.
- The self-awareness, flexibility, and optimism necessary to navigate stressful situations and the willingness to improve as needed.
The KCTR Talent and Placement Manager is a critical role in creating the educational change that KCTR seeks to affect in schools throughout Kansas City. The Talent and Placement Manager will design, revise and implement both strategies and projects for bringing people into KCTR, and ultimately getting them hired into permanent positions with school partners. In this way, this role is instrumental in increasingly the effectiveness and quality of residents, and, ultimately, graduates of KCTR. This role will center not only on individual work flows that focus on recruitment and placement, but will also collaborate with KCTR Staff, contractors, and partners, to achieve those goals.
- Design recruitment strategies and projects that will attract high-quality candidates from diverse backgrounds to KCTR
- Establish and maintain partnerships with other education organizations to enhance the recruitment pipeline
- Collaborate on the recruitment marketing and communication plan for potential applicants
- Source recruitment events and represent KCTR at such events in order to enhance pipeline and recruit candidates
- Design and deliver informational sessions to potential candidates, external organizations, and education partners
- Implement the KCTR selection model, from initial application through to Selection Day
- Manage team members through selection model including screening applications, conducting phone interviews, and conducting interviews at Selection Day
- Train staff and external raters on Selection Day protocols to ensure high degree of reliability and validity with scores
- Review components of selection model to ensure decisions are resulting in an effective cohort of Residents chosen
- Review application and selection data to inform future recruitment and marketing strategies
RESPONSIBILITIES: Resident Placement
- Collaborate with team members and school partners to determine placement needs at each training site including number of slots, certification area, and Mentor Teacher pairings
- Implement placement strategy to match each Resident with an effective placement site for their Residency year and first year teaching
- Actively communicate with school partners and Residents throughout the placement process to keep them informed, gather necessary information, and make decisions
- Monitor which Residents have been placed to ensure 100% have quality training site
- Review placement strategy to make adjustments throughout implementation and in future rounds
RESPONSIBILITIES: Resident & Graduate Hiring
- Collaborate with team members and school partners to determine staffing openings at each partner site
- Coach Residents (and Graduates when necessary) on interview protocols including skills and traits they should exhibit
- Provide application and resume assistance when needed
- Actively monitor Resident hiring status and communicate to other team members to ensure all Residents are hired in partner site
- Train Residents on KCTR’s hiring policies and procedures, give feedback when necessary
- Train KCTR staff on Resident hiring policies and procedures including how other staff members can support to ensure alignment across team
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Two or more years of teaching experience
- Experience in teacher recruitment highly preferred
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong familiarity with the Missouri and Kansas educational landscape
- Ability to lead teams across departments both inside and outside the organization to project completion
This role requires reliable transportation and willingness to travel to and from partner sites. Occasional
business travel is also required for recruiting purposes.
● The Kansas City Teacher Residency offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience level, credentials and anticipated duties and responsibilities, including benefits.
● Interested applicants can apply for this position by completing an application and submitting a cover letter and resume. Submit your materials on the Kansas City Teacher Residency webpage at www.kcteach.org/careers.
All of the statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. KCTR reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time, including after the position is filled.