Join Startland News for a collaborative work environment in which empathetic and honest storytelling spotlights innovation and ecosystem building in Kansas City. We’re looking for a full-time reporter and digital desk manager eager to make an impact through journalism.
An ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a passion and curiosity for entrepreneurship in Kansas City, as well as a knack for social media and face-to-face networking. A solid grasp of AP Style, news and feature writing, and multimedia is expected.
Startland News offers a casual, team-oriented culture that shares the values of community, impact and authenticity with its parent organization, the Kansas City Startup Foundation. We believe in fostering individual growth and providing members of our newsroom with the freedom to develop ideas, express their creativity and meaningfully engage with readers and sources through quality storytelling.
Start Date: April-May 2019
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience plus full benefits
- 2+ years professional experience in news, media or reporting
- Passion for entrepreneurship and willingness to embed in the community
- Ability to juggle daily news reporting and social media engagement with long-term projects
- Social media savvy
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral communication and networking skills
- Expert grasp of AP style
- Must work from Startland News’ KC office in the Crossroads Arts District
- Find and pitch stories
- Work with editors on story angles, headlines, images and SEO
- Write and upload online news stories daily under a strict deadline
- Interview and build rapport with sources in Kansas City
- Attend and report on events, press conferences, etc., occasionally after 5 p.m.
- Work with newsroom leaders to conceive story ideas and investigative pieces in multiple formats
- Capture and edit photos and videos
- Lead social media engagement
Submit the following: resume, clips/portfolio, photography and social media, and references