Job Details Level: Experienced
Job Location: Elementary/Pre – K
Campus – Kansas City, MO
Position Type: Part Time
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Job Shift: Day Job
Category: Health Care
Manage and coordinate the assigned school’s health services program based on requirements established by school division policies, procedures, and protocols, and by local, state and national regulations and statues; maintain and operate the school clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
School Health Services
• Assess, plan, and implement coordinated school health services;
• Establish and maintain comprehensive school health records;
• Assess the health and developmental status of all students;
• Identify students with special health concerns and develop appropriate health care plans with students and families;
• Establish system to provide care for illness and injury;
• Establish system to provide for safe medication administration;
• Monitor communicable disease prevention and control program – establish and maintain immunization records, comply with state laws, rules and regulations regarding immunization requirements, exclusion of students with communicable diseases and reporting of designated
diseases, and participate on advisory committee for students and staff with chronic infectious diseases;
• Determine priorities for screening programs, conduct screenings, make referrals and provide follow-up;
• Establish dental health programs, as needed – education, fluoride application programs, and screenings;
• Assure in-service education for school staff regarding their role as mandated reporters in suspected child abuse and neglect; and
• Provide in-service education for school personnel on surveillance of health problems, communicable disease control, infection control, abuse and neglect reporting, etc
• Promote special health promotion observances, e.g., Dental Health Month;
• Participate on health curriculum committees to provide input regarding current health risks, types of health concerns of students, etc.;
• Support and reinforce health instruction goals and objectives; and
• Act as a resource to classroom teachers as a presenter on health-related subject matter.
• Monitor school environment to identify hazards, and work to correct problems;
• Establish/monitor injury-reporting system and ensure action is taken on preventable situations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to use clinic/medical equipment
• Possess basic pharmacological knowledge
• Ability to assess emergency situations and act accordingly
• Comfortable knowledge of universal procedures and ability to teach this to others
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Basic computer skills
• Willing attitude to be a part of the school team
• Ability/willingness to participate in ongoing professional and staff development, both independently and through system-offered opportunities.
Education and Experience
• Valid CPR and AED certification
• Possession of a valid driver’s license with appropriate vehicle insurance.
• Graduate from an accredited nursing program
• CNA minimum Certification, must be registered in the state of Missouri and in good standing with Board of Nursing
• A minimum of three years’ nursing experience in community health, pediatrics, emergency care and triage, psychiatry and/or a physician’s office preferred.
• Ability to understand and speak Spanish (Preferred)
Physical Requirements: Requires standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, simple grasping, pushing pulling, fine motor and gross motor skills, bending, lifting, squatting, kneeling, climbing, and reaching. Ability to lift students as required and has the stamina to stand all day, every day of the week as needed.