PARAPROFESSIONAL, ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS
- A minimum of sixty college hours from an accredited college or university is required.
- A valid Missouri Teaching Certificate is preferred.
- Possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and physical attributes necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate or acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal, ELL Program Coordinator
Direct Supervisor: ELL Teacher
JOB GOAL: To assist in the implementation of all aspects of the building’s English Language Learners
program, including, but not limited to, the delivery of the ELL instructional program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Under the supervision and direction of the ELL teacher, plans and delivers English language development instruction to identified ELLs in small groups and/or individual pull out sessions.
- Under the supervision and direction of the ELL and classroom teachers, provides small group instruction to ELLs in the regular classroom setting.
- Collaborates and communicates with the ELL teacher and classroom teachers to plan and deliver appropriate instruction to ELLs.
- Communicates with other staff members, family members and others regarding the needs of ELLs.
- Assists with the administration and scoring of language assessments.
- Assists with the required reporting and record keeping related to the ELL students and ELL program.
- Assists the ELL and classroom teachers in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students and their cultural, linguistic and academic background.
- Assists the ELL teacher with maintaining good home-school communication; requests interpreters from ELL office when necessary.
- Assists with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, etc.
- Serves as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigning in the absence of the ELL teacher.
- Serves as a substitute for the ELL teacher, as assigned or required, on an emergency basis.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of a fully licensed teacher.
- May be assigned routine clerical duties such as filing, typing, etc.
- May be assigned a specific assignment such as hallway supervision, bus duty, car rider duty, in school suspension, after school detention, etc.
- Bilingual ELL instructional assistants may be asked to interpret and/or translate documents during duty hours.
- Demonstrates effective human relations and communication skills.
- Complies with all district rules, regulations, and policies.
- Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The individual who holds this position is regularly required to walk, hear and speak and must have close moderate and distance vision ability. This individual must be able to travel between district facilities. The position requires a moderate amount of travel and physical activity.
CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT: The work environment is consistent with typical office/school environment.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work calendar to be established by the Board Of Education. Benefits according to Board policies.
RETIREMENT: Public Education Employee Retirement Systems (PEERS)
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: Substitute Certificate
CLEARANCES: Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluations utilizing the Performance Based Support Staff Evaluation process.
|Primary Location||Gracemor Elementary School|
|Salary Range||Per Hour|