The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) is seeking a qualified individual to serve as a KC Degrees College Success Navigator. This part-time, independent contractor will advise and support adult learners who want to return to school to complete a college degree or certification.
MARC, the association of local governments and metropolitan planning organization for the bistate Kansas City region, promotes and supports cooperation on regional issues, including transportation, the environment, our workforce and economy, aging services, community development, quality early learning, public safety communications and emergency services. MARC offers a collaborative work environment with a culture based on integrity, innovation, diversity and inclusion, excellence in performance and service leadership.
As part of MARC’s workforce development program, KC Degrees (http://www.kcdegrees.org/) supports adults in the Kansas City region who started but never completed college to return and earn a college degree or high-quality certificate. KC Degrees provides adults with in-person, phone, and online advisement to help navigate the process to enter or return to college or an industry recognized training program. KC Degrees is operated by MARC with support from the Graduate! Network, Inc (http://graduate-network.org/).
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
The KC Degrees College Success Navigator works under the direction of the Outreach and Advising Project Manager. At the discretion of the Project Manager, the College Success Navigator may work on a project basis with other institutions, including nonprofit and/or government agencies, to assist them with reaching their adult postsecondary attainment goals. In this capacity, the navigator may provide some or all of the following general services:
- Advising: Manage a caseload of KC Degrees adult learners. Serve as a guide to adult learners, helping them understand their postsecondary options, and create and follow a plan to enroll/re-enroll and complete college. Work closely with college advisors and student financial and enrollment services personnel at network colleges and universities to promote student success. Work with adults selected for KC Scholars’ scholarships to address barriers in order to enroll and persist in college to completion.
- Community Referrals: The navigator is responsible for the development and maintenance of a strong community-based service network to support KC Degrees Adult Learners. The support service network should include services related to career exploration, child care, financial literacy, and tutoring (specifically, reading, writing and math). These partnerships will be essential to student success and persistence in college.
- Outreach and Marketing: The navigator will work with KC Degrees’ project manager and MARC public affairs staff to develop marketing and outreach plans and implement those plans to effectively engage adults interested in starting or completing their education.
The following represent the essential functions of this position. Additional duties may also be assigned and be essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Recruit and encourage adults to return to college, apprenticeship or other industry recognized training to attain a degree or credential.
- Provide advising, support, assistance, follow-up, and referrals to adult learners as part of the KC Degrees team, working in collaboration with the higher education network college advisors and other organizations.
- Initiate and maintain a high volume of email and phone contact with prospective and current students, including cold calls, outreach and follow-up.
- Use a client relationship management system (SalesForce) to capture data, track student advising, monitor client progress, and manage and monitor self and team workflow.
- Provide timely reports on services rendered to clients of KC Degrees.
- Create broad-based understanding among multiple stakeholders regarding the importance of college degree completion for adults.
- Establish partnerships and collaborative relationships with other community stakeholders to promote student success. Devising strategies to address persistent challenges and, where appropriate, engaging volunteers.
- Work with staff and external stakeholders to design and implement public education and outreach campaigns to reach adult students interested in returning to finish a degree.
- Represent KC Degrees at local and national meetings and conferences.
- Coordinate and execute promotional events.
The position requires a bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration, Community or Economic Development, Education, Planning or a related field. The position requires at least five years related experience in educational advising or programming and community, economic or workforce development.
An understanding of postsecondary advising is desired. The position requires the ability to work directly with and establish trusting relationships with adults seeking educational support. KC Degrees advising is based on the principles of developmental advising and is tailored to the needs and perspectives of adults. In addition, strong organizational, project management, and oral and written communication skills are essential for the position.
The College Success Navigator has an important role in developing and maintaining the systems of support to promote student success. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to devise strategies to effectively and efficiently understand the needs of the different populations served by KC Degrees, and how to best serve them.
The position requires a self-starting, self-driven individual who is also a strong team player, a person who is curious and open to and eager for new learning. The position requires someone who is patient with people and process, yet driven to produce timely results; who can maintain focus and motivation while exploring potentially conflicting options; and who has the ability to understand strategy and the “big picture” and translate it to tactical solutions in a fast paced environment.
This position is a part-time independent contractor position and will pay between $22-24/hour depending on experience. The College Success Navigator will work 20 hours per week at various community locations as assigned. As a contractor, the College Success Navigator will be responsible for all taxes on this income, including federal, state and local taxes. To apply, please visit our website at www.marc.org/jobs and provide a cover letter, resume and include compensation requirements.