Job Description: Founding 5th Grade Teacher
Community. Growth. Freedom.
Kansas City Girls Preparatory Academy addresses a community need for more opportunities for young women in neighborhoods that have been negatively impacted by historical de jure segregation and contemporary de facto segregation.
To confront the impacts of systemic racism and sexism, our mission has three core parts: develop young women to discover their voice, succeed in college, and lead impactful, meaningful lives.
We are building a team committed to shared values of community, growth, and freedom in partnership with young women on Kansas City’s east side.
What makes working at KC Girls Prep unique?
- We are founders. Every team member contributes to the growth of a new learning community.
- Relationships are at the center of our work. Academic success is only part of the equation. To be truly successful, students – and team members – need authentic connection with one another, their individual identities, and their deepest values. We use Restorative Practices and engage together in daily Social and Emotional learning to build the relationships that sustain us.
- We build strong teams. We know that students are best served by strong teacher teams, not just loosely connected classrooms. Girls Prep places teachers in the grade and content area that best meets students’ needs and ensures the team’s success
- We focus on deep mastery of STEAM and literacy. All staff engage in professional learning grounded in standards-based, vertically aligned curricula.
- We are all learners. Our team’s growth is the most important predictor of our students’ growth. We engage in nearly thirty days of development annually, not including weekly development, instructional coaching, and peer collaboration. We are looking for teammates who have the courage to take risks, make mistakes, and grow.
What are my roles and responsibilities?
- Family and Community Connector
- Actively build trusting relationships and seeks partnership with families through consistent engagement, including home visits and participation in community events
- Classroom and Schoolwide Culture
- Model core values of Community, Growth, and Freedom at all times
- Infuse core values into daily lessons, classroom culture, and family engagement
- Caring Team Member and Advisor
- Be authentic, caring, and vulnerable in order to build a trusting team where we can learn, grow, and struggle together
- Lead an advisory group where young women can give one another support and challenge one another when necessary
- Implement advisory curriculum to help student’ social and emotional growth, relationships, and sense of community
- Content Teacher
- Teach Humanities, Balanced Literacy, Mathematics, Physical Education, or Science, Technology, and Engineering to classes of approximately 25 students
- Adapt curriculum to scaffold learning for students
- Work closely with Learning Support Specialists to provide small group instruction
- Apply use of diagnostic, interim, and daily assessments to identify learning strengths and needs of every student
- Engage in daily practice with teammates to hone teaching practice
- Use daily formative assessments to drive collaborative planning
- Engage in weekly, data-based coaching and planning cycles with teammates
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development and adapt plans based on data
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of two years teaching experience
- Valid Missouri Teacher Certification
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Able to work extended school year and extended day hours
- Conversational or better knowledge of a world language is preferred but not required, especially Arabic, Burmese, French, Karen, Kinyarwanda, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, or Vietnamese.
Who’s an ideal candidate?
- Equity is at your core. You bring a lifelong commitment to directly challenging inequities caused by racism, sexism, and other forms of oppression.
- You want to help young women discover their voice. You know the power for young women in developing a strong, positive self-concept and equally strong academic knowledge and skills. You can provide the supports for young women to serve as leaders for Kansas City and beyond.
- You’re a learner. You leave your ego at the door and embody the incredibly steep growth curve we seek for every member of our community.
- You’re an influencer. You hold extremely high expectations of yourself and your teammates. You communicate those expectations in a direct, caring, and motivating way. You engage teammates with humility and an unwavering, high bar of expectations.
- You’re an entrepreneur. You bring the energy, adaptability, and results-focus necessary to thrive in a startup.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must occasionally push items of 50 pounds such as pushing on a bike or wheelchair or moving/rearranging furniture. While performing the duties of the job the employee occasionally may visit a child’s home. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the roles and responsibility of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and is a standard acceptable level for this environment. Is directly responsible for students’ safety, work output and well-being.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. In addition, KC Girls Prep
offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for individual employees, a 403b retirement plan option, Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and child care, planned breaks for one week at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Winter Break, one week in March, and two weeks at end of June/beginning of July.
Join our Founding Team!