LEANLAB Education envisions a world where all children have access to effective and excellent educational solutions and are well-equipped for the future. To realize this vision, the following is necessary:
- The invention of visionary, new solutions for public education.
- Deep and productive partnerships with school communities—students, educators and administrators.
- A process that elevates community voices in the co-creation of new solutions and the measurement of their effectiveness.
LEANLAB Education believes the attainment of educational outcomes for all students will be accelerated when those most impacted by education issues—parents, students, and educators—become active participants in the design and innovation process, working hand-in-hand with entrepreneurs and researchers to identify, influence, and launch breakthrough educational innovations in the form of technologies and services.
Our mission is to launch breakthrough education solutions while building a dynamic, community infrastructure required to support the scale of effective innovations. To realize this mission, LEANLAB Education facilitates research pilots between schools (school partners) and education startups (entrepreneur partners) to engage in the co-design process, actively testing solutions and collaboratively working toward creating new solutions that accelerate student outcomes.
The Director of Research and Impact facilitates the co-design research process between entrepreneurs and school partners and executes the implementation of research pilots in K-12 classrooms.
Design and execute a cutting-edge research framework for piloting education innovations that elevates teacher, student, and parent voice in the creation of effective edtech solutions that improve student outcomes.
This director-level position is responsible for assigned projects and program budgets of up to $150k with up to 3 direct reports. In addition to achieving/exceeding role-based outcomes as defined in individual professional development plans and contributing to organization-wide goals, Directors are accountable for the following key responsibilities:
The roles of the Director of Research and Impact include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Collaborate with the LEANLAB program team in the development and implementation of co-design research processes among entrepreneurs and school partners that will elevate school voice in the creation, validation, and scale of solutions.
- Document and refine the LEANLAB co-design processes, structures and systems that build off of existing research models, including, but not limited to, Learning Science, Design-Based Research, Rapid Cycle Evaluation, and Implementation/Improvement Science methods.
- Develop data collection tools and processes that measure the impact of a product on student or teacher outcomes or other outcomes of interest to schools and entrepreneurs.
- Develop end-user feedback tools and processes that contribute to improved product development.
- Assist in the design of quasi-experimental methods and analysis of quantitative data using advanced statistical techniques; identify appropriate qualitative methods to draw causal inference.
- Create and publish written reports of each study’s process and findings.
- Foster and facilitate research partnerships with R1 universities interested in rapid-cycle evaluation, design-based implementation research, improvement science, and education technology.
- Manage a team of research assistants, as needed, to support methods, data collection, and analysis.
- Advanced knowledge of mixed-methods research, procedures, techniques, and terminology used in the more complex aspects of research projects
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate complex data with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to gather, compile, and analyze research data and present reports and summaries in written, tabular and graphic form
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; adept at writing reports and explaining data analysis methods and distilling complicated concepts to multiple stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to foster ongoing relationships with multiple stakeholders
- A commitment to bettering the availability of evidence-informed practices/innovation in the K-12 sector and improving education for all students
- At least 3 years of proven experience as a data analyst, data scientist, and/or researcher in an applied setting
- A MS or PhD degree in Data Science, Education, Evaluation, Neuroscience, Learning Science or a related social-science field
- Knowledge of statistical techniques (i.e. OLS, matching, and difference in difference models) and experience conducting data analysis in Stata, SPSS, or R
This is a full-time, exempt position with full benefits; salary commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should complete the following no later than April 17:
- Complete the LEANLAB online application
- Email the following attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org, and CC email@example.com (Subject: Director, Research & Impact)
- Cover letter that states your interest
- Curriculum Vitae/resume
- A relevant research project writing sample
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.