Job Description: Community Canvasser
Work flexible hours, up to approximately 8 hours per week, from March – August 2019. Compensation is $12 per hour.
In Fall 2019, two high-performing, free public middle schools will open their doors to families. Both schools are open to any student living in KCPS boundaries.
The schools seek Community Canvassers to ensure that families across KCPS are aware of these new options.
Citizens of the World’s new middle school will enroll 6th graders. It will focus on engaging academics, personal growth, and working across lines of difference to solve complex problems. For more information, visit www.cwckansascity.org.
KC Girls Prep will enroll 5th graders. It focuses on sisterhood, leadership, and rigorous STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics). For more information, visit www.kcgpa.org.
- Canvas in communities
- With a partner, walk neighborhoods to knock on doors, talk directly with families, and leave information when no one is available.
- Actively build trusting relationships and seeks partnership with families through consistent engagement, including home visits and participation in community events
- Conduct outreach at
- Visit community events, religious institutions, grocery stores, etc. to engage with families and share information
- Keep clear, written or
- Collect contact information and track next steps for additional outreach to interested families.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Must pass a Family Care Safety Registry check (https://health.mo.gov/safety/fcsr/about.php). The cost will be reimbursed if you pass.
- Able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Conversational or better knowledge of a world language is preferred but not required, especially Arabic, Burmese, French, Karen, Kinyarwanda, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, or Vietnamese.
- Able to drive to and from area businesses, community centers, and religious institutions.
- Able to walk for door-to-door canvassing for up to 4 hours at a time.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is $12 per hour. This position is not eligible for benefits.