The LEC works to increase and retain the number of quality Latinx education professionals in K-12. As part of our strategy to develop and support quality Latinx educators, the LEC will be hosting its second annual professional and leadership development conference (Evolución) for Latinx education professionals (and friends).
Last year, Evolución brought in speakers like Dr. Hector Rivera, Assistant Professor at Texas A & M; India Wells- Carter, Program Manager, TNTP; a panel discussion that included local education leaders; and Porter Ellett, Senior Assistant to Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach. This year’s speaker line-up will bring in both local and national education leaders to facilitate conversations around myriad topics including: the importance of building community in classrooms, schools, and districts; culturally responsive curriculum; retention strategies for teachers of color; and addressing issues surrounding educator quality.
This conference is designed for:
- Existing Latinx education professionals looking for culturally responsive professional development
- Future Latinx education professionals looking to grow their professional networks and explore career pathways and opportunities
- Educators that teach in school districts with large Latinx student populations and are looking to improve their efficacy
- Educators of color that are looking to grow their professional networks with other educators of color and acquire culturally responsive resiliency strategies
UMKC Atterbury Student Success Center, 5000 Holmes, Kansas City, MO, 6411o
November 9, 2019, 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Breakfast and lunch included.
○ 9:30 – 10:00 a.m. | Registration/Breakfast
○ 10:00 – 10:15 a.m. | Welcome
○ 10:15 – 10:30 a.m. | Community Ice Breaker
○ 10:30 – 11:10 a.m. | [Morning Keynote] Dr. Francisco Guajardo, CEO, Museum of South Texas History
○ 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. | Morning Breakout Sessions
○ 12:00- 12:30 p.m. | Networking & Lunch
○ 12:30 – 1:00 p.m. | Luncheon Keynote
○ 1:00 – 1:45 p.m. | Afternoon Breakout Sessions
○ 1:45 – 2:00 p.m. | Community Debrief
○ 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. | Networking Reception
If you would like a scholarship to attend the event, please email Edgar Palacios at email@example.com.
The LEC would like to thank the following Evolucion steering committee members for their support of this event:
Susana Elizarraraz, Chair; Roberto Diaz; Elizabeth Janzen; Eva Santiago; Juan Carlos Lara; Mia Monarca; Iván Ramirez; and Marta Silva